Monday, October 1, 2012

Horrorfest Starts Now!

Moving on...

So last year's Horrorfest/Octoberfest/Scary Film Festival came to a truly anticlimactic conclusion when a freak snowstorm - though is there such a thing as a freak weather pattern in the age of global warming? - wiped out my power for the last four days of October.  Frustrated, I gave up on the whole shebang.  Assuming an anniversary storm isn't in the cards, my annual marathon is back.  I might make things a little frontloaded just in case.  One year, I made it to 20 films.  I'll make that my goal this year.  As usual, I'll throw in reviews of my fave TV shows' Halloween episodes. 

Things did not end well last year, and they didn't begin too strongly this year.

INTRUDERS
(Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, 2012ish)
This was barely released stateside earlier this year by Millenium Films.  To be fair, that seems to be their only release strategy.  Clive Owen (sidenote: still yummy) plays a father whose daughter begins having visions of Hollowface, a faceless cloaked monster that emerges from her closet at night.  Father and daughter share the terror, with no one else able to see the figure.  A parallel story shows a young Spanish boy being terrorized by the same figure.  I had a hunch early on how the stories would eventually meet, and ended up being right.  This is a pretty limp film.  Disappointing because the film's director was behind 28 Weeks Later, one of the most superior sequels of the new millenium.  Any energy and style that film had was clearly the result of him copying Danny Boyle's predecessor.  Hollowface isn't a good villian, just looking like an extra from Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings.  I kept waiting for him to tear loose with some bloodshed, but that time never comes.  I have no idea how this was R-rated, but Owen drops about three 'fuck''s in one scene.  Outside of that, this is standard PG-13 fare.  Daniel Bruhl and Carice van Houten also appear, both talents wasted.  GRADE: C-

Wet Clive

No comments: