Monday, October 1, 2012

Seth MacFarlane to Host the Oscars

I woke up late this lovely day, the first of October.  I woke up to something rather scary to kick off the month.

I just saw a link on my computer that said "Seth MacFarlane to host the...." and I knew what was coming.  Oh god.  I didn't want to click on it to confirm what was about to happen, clinging to some shred of hope that maybe the Globes had gone a different route from Ricky Gervais or maybe it was the Independent Spirit Awards.  But I just knew what the rest of the headline was going to be.

Seth MacFarlane is hosting the Oscars.

Now, rather than have my usual heartbreak over the passed over list of funny ladies, I went straight to shocked disbelief.  Apparently, having just one hit movie to your name makes you aptly prepared to preside over Hollywood's biggest nights.  No, maybe doing a bunch of voices.  No, just the same voices over and over but putting different characters names on them.  I'm wondering how many of those voices we'll have to endure during the monologue alone. 

But, for my own survival, I will give everyone the benefit of the doubt.  And here's what's most frustrating: I repeatedly have to do this lately when it comes to AMPAS.  Let's just see where it goes.  I think they are once again commiting the mortal sin that they always do and it always fails them: actively chasing an audience that doesn't give two shits about this show.



 
On the bright side, I'd say there's a good shot that Tina Fey is hosting the 86th show. It's been confirmed she's been asked to host, but said no because of her commitment to 30 Rock.

No comments: