Tuesday, October 2, 2012

HF: Munger Road

The 3.2 average viewers I get each day should be elated to learn that on the right of my page, I've now added a list - "Recently Watched Movies".  While I'll be blogging my thoughts on my marathon of mayhem this month, I added this feature as an update on what I've seen and the grade I've given it.  If I feel like blogging my thoughts, I will.

MUNGER ROAD
(Nicholas Smith, 2011)
This movie hit my radar last fall when Ebert gave it 3 stars and I read some mildly positive buzz here on the interweb.  Additionally, some Michiganers (Michiganians?) seemed excited that a movie was filmed at this particular location where some urban legends began.  In the film, a quartet of teens travel on the supposedly haunted stretch armed with a camera to document their findings.  Meanwhile, a cop (always reliable Bruce Davison, providing the film's main starpower) goes on the hunt for an escaped convict who murdered a young girl on the road some years prior.  Is the killer after the teens?  Will the cop save them in time?  Was I once again duped by some vague online buzz into watching a worthless film?  Not entirely.  For most of the film's short running time, the film works surprisingly well providing some decent old fashioned suspense.  I was even ready to bestow the words "hidden gem" on the film.  Then, the final act kinda shits the bed and leaves us with an ending that would piss me off if I hadn't stopped caring moments earlier.  The acting from the youngsters isn't the best.  Trevor Morgan is pretty good and looks like he could be Tim Tebow's creepy little brother.  (Yeah, I dug it.  Shut up.)  Davison is very good here.  It's not a bad film, but after the first hour it loses too much steam.   Something else worth noting and several people on IMDB boards pointed this out, there's a scene with two visible boom mic shots?   I was always told that was the result of misframing.  I don't recall seeing this on any other DVD.  GRADE: C+

No comments: