Saturday, March 3, 2018

Brutally Honest Non-Oscar Voter's Ballot

As in, mine.

(The only film I haven't seen in the following categories is Mudbound. Look, I get Netflix's commitment to their streaming, but they really need to release their films on physical discs. They do for their TV shows, so why not films? And I do believe they qualify as films. As long as they follow the rules set forth by the Academy, they should qualify.)

VISUAL EFFECTS: Blade Runner 2049
Easy.

SOUND EDITING: Dunkirk
I went with this because the bullets sounded very authentic to the period. Sidenote: I was not alive during World War II, which makes me a lot different than most Oscar voters.

SOUND MIXING: Blade Runner 2049
Considered Dunkirk here, too, but the scene in the restaurant with the holograms sealed this win for me. Baby Driver would make a deserving winner, too.

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING: Darkest Hour

MUSIC - ORIGINAL SONG: "Mystery of Love" - Call Me By Your Name
This is a very strong lineup, and as infectious as "This Is Me" is, "Mystery of Love" fits its film much better, and I think some of the other songs in The Greatest Showman are better.

MUSIC - ORIGINAL SCORE: The Shape of Water
Probably. I'd consider Phantom Thread and Dunkirk (which I know a lot of people hated).

PRODUCTION DESIGN: Blade Runner 2049
I can see the appeal of Shape of Water, which had so many nice details.

COSTUME DESIGN: Phantom Thread
Easy.

FILM EDITING: Dunkirk
This category kinda blows this year.

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Blade Runner 2049
Easy.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Call Me By Your Name

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Lady Bird

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Willem Dafoe - The Florida Project
I don't really love any of these performances. Rockwell has been better numerous times, and this occasionally feels like a parody of a Rockwell performance. I considered voting for Plummer, but went with Dafoe because of the challenge of working with so many non-actors.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Laurie Metcalf - Lady Bird
Aunt Jackie for life! Hot take for this cateogry: Janney and Manville are equally one dimensional, but nobody will say that about Manville because it's just the highbrow version of what Janney is doing.

LEADING ACTOR: Timothee Chalamet - Call Me By Your Name
I don't dislike Oldman as most, even if it is hammy.

LEADING ACTRESS: Saoirse Ronan - Lady Bird
This is a strong category. I think McDormand has been better numerous times and she's on autopilot in the film.

(If someone had told me a few years back that Allison Janney, Sam Rockwell, Frances McDormand and Gary Oldman were a year's Oscar-winner slate and that it would genuinely piss people off, I would never have believed you.)

DIRECTING: Greta Gerwig - Lady Bird

And for BEST PICTURE:

(my ranking)

1. Lady Bird
2. Call Me By Your Name
3. Get Out
4. Dunkirk
5. The Shape of Water
6. Phantom Thread
7. The Post
8. Darkest Hour
9. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

4-6 are completely interchangeable.

Go, Lady Bird!


No comments: