Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Trailer: Bombshell

Okay, so a question frequently asked about certain films that I absolutely can't stand is this: "Who is this movie even for?" I think it reduces everything to a marketing challenge and makes it sound like every movie must be made with a demographic in mind. But, in this film's case, I have to wonder who exactly the makers think the audience will be. Conservatives won't see it because there's no way it will paint them perfectly, and they'll see it as Hollywood mocking some of their faves. Liberals won't see it because, while yes the subjects had awful things happen to them, they are still awful people. And I doubt anyone else really cares. It's a film that could only get made if the tone is right, and the tone would almost need to be a To Die For-esque satire. I don't think that works in a post-#metoo world. The script for this is said to be bad. Despite my love for the talent (in front of the camera) involved, the film is probably a mess. The names behind the camera don't inspire much confidence.

All that said, this is probably my favorite trailer in some time. I wish studios did more trailers exactly like this. It says everything that needs to be said. The tone grabs you. It leaves you wanting more. That's what great trailers should do. (This is probably the longest intro I've ever done for a trailer, but I haven't posted anything non-box-office in quite some time.)

No comments: