Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Box: Oh, so that film was Big. This is Little. Just got it. I'll be crying in the corner by myself for the next several hours.

1. Shazam - $29m / $100m / $160m
2. Little - $18m / $18m / $55m
3. Hellboy - $15m / $15m / $32m
4. Pet Sematary - $10m / $41.5m / $58m
5. The Missing Link - $9m / $9m / $28m
**Dumbo - $9m / $90m / $110m
7. After - $7m / $7m / $18m
8. Us - $6.5m / $163m / $180m
9. Captain Marvel - $6.5m / $384m / $400m
10. The Best of Enemies - $2.5m / $9m / $14m

I had forgotten Hellboy was even opening this month until I looked at the release schedule a few weeks ago. Opening the same month 15 years after Del Toro's first installment, the new one arrives with almost no buzz and brutal reviews. It's rumored the director was taken off the project, too. Of the four openers, I'm expecting Little to do the best. Shazam (well, half of it) proves the market could use a comedy, and the trailers for the body-change (it's not a swap, I guess) comedy have been solid. I had no idea what After was until I watched the trailer last night. A tween Fifty Shades? It has some social media buzz, and Five Feet Apart proved the teen drama can do well. Marketing still seems light. Lastly is the well reviewed Laika film Missing Link. Dumbo is kinda free-falling, but I think Link will do modest numbers at best. Audiences just aren't going for these Laika films, despite the quality.

No comments: