Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Oscar Predictions (1st of 3)

The Shorts:
Live Action: The Phone Call
Animated: Feast
Documentary: Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
BIG HERO 6 - THE BOXTROLLS - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2
SONG OF THE SEA - THE TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA

This should have been an easy victory for The Lego Movie, but of course it wasn't nominated. This is probably between Dragon and Hero. Hero grossed more, but Dragon has more name recognition. 
WILL WIN: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: THE LEGO MOVIE. Ridiculous.


BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
CITIZENFOUR - FINDING VIVIAN MAIER - LAST DAYS IN VIETNAM 
THE SALT OF THE EARTH - VIRUNGA

Unless that Kennedy connection got to voters, this is probably an easy win for the Snowden doc.
WILL WIN: CITIZENFOUR
I'm really behind on my docs this year, so I can't comment on what should be here. Sadly, I haven't seen a single one of these.


BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
IDA - LEVIATHAN - TANGERINES - TIMBUKTU - WILD TALES

Ida is ahead of Leviathan. I doubt any of the other three have a chance.
WILL WIN: IDA
I've only seen Ida of this slate, and I liked it. As usual with this category, most of the films open in the first quarter of the year after the nominations are announced.


Tomorrow: the Techs.

No comments: