Wednesday, February 26, 2014

OSCAR PREDICTIONS (2 of 4)

BEST MUSIC - ORIGINAL SONG
"HAPPY" - DESPICABLE ME 2
"LET IT GO" - FROZEN
"THE MOON SONG" - HER
"ORDINARY LOVE" - MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: (doesn't quite matter here) Saw everything but Mandela
WILL WIN: "LET IT GO", and if it doesn't, I can't even begin to imagine the breakdowns we'll see on social media.
I'D VOTE FOR: "LET IT GO"
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Lana Del Rey's "Young and Beautiful" from The Great Gatsby is my personal fave of the contenders this year, though Alex Ebert's "Amen" from All Is Lost is terrific as well.  Also, some of the other songs from Frozen, including my personal fave "Do You Want To Build a Snowman?", could have been included.  
 
 
BEST MUSIC - ORIGINAL SCORE
THE BOOK THIEF
GRAVITY
HER
PHILOMENA
SAVING MR. BANKS
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: Haven't seen Book Thief, saw the rest.
WILL WIN: GRAVITY
I'D VOTE FOR: A tight vote between Gravity and Her for me, but I'd go with Gravity considering the score has to do the heavy lifting in place of sound.
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: 12 Years a Slave was  a surprise snub in this category, but it was wishful thinking for three of my favorites to get in: the 80's throwback score for You're Next, the inventive clapping of Ain't Them Bodies Saints, and my personal fave of the year - Pino Donaggio's score for Brian De Palma's Passion.
 
 
BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
DALLAS BUYERS CLUB
JACKASS PRESENTS BAD GRANDPA
THE LONE RANGER
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: All
WILL WIN: DALLAS BUYERS CLUB
I'D VOTE FOR: Jackass presents Bad Grandpa, by default
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: American Hustle (aka "Explosion at the Wig Factory") would have won had it been nominated, and rightly so.  The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and The Great Gatsby, likewise, would have made this category much stronger than it ended up being.  And for the makeup aspect, they love old people makeup and hate horror.  A shame, so I'll just add Evil Dead to the long list of horror movies that should have score a nod.
 
 
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
12 YEARS A SLAVE
AMERICAN HUSTLE
GRAVITY
THE GREAT GATSBY
HER
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: All
WILL WIN: Any of these have a chance.  Last year, they gave Lincoln a below the line victory here, so that could mean a victory for 12 Years a Slave.  That said, in tech categories, it's best to remember to think voters will go with either the loudest, flashiest or prettiest.  So, THE GREAT GATSBY wins.
I'D VOTE FOR: As beautiful and appropriate as the work is this year, Her is the easy choice.  A really inventive and realistic take on the future!
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Despite it being a mediocre film, Oblivion had some imaginative and breathtaking sets.
 
 
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
12 YEARS A SLAVE
AMERICAN HUSTLE
THE GRANDMASTER
THE GREAT GATSBY
THE INVISIBLE WOMAN
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: Everything but Grandmaster and Invisible
WILL WIN: Again, Slave could win here, as could Hustle.  But again, THE GREAT GATSBY is the flashiest.
I'D VOTE FOR: Gatsby, but I'd be happy with a Hustle win here.
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Rachel McAdams wardrobe alone in Passion was a high point in costuming this year.  They usually don't go for more modern costumes, but Blue Jasmine and The Bling Ring should have gotten in, too.  For more traditional nominations, it's baffling that The Hunger Games: Catching Fire missed out.
 
 
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
THE GRANDMASTER
GRAVITY
INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
NEBRASKA
PRISONERS
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: GravityNebraska, and Prisoners.  Will see Grandmaster and Llewyn Davis in the next two weeks. 
WILL WIN: GRAVITY, and cinephiles rejoice that Emmanuel Lubezki finally has an Oscar.
I'D VOTE FOR: GRAVITY
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Spring Breakers lush neon nightmare is the best of the year in this category.  To the Wonder is also criminally un-nominated here.
 
 
BEST FILM EDITING
12 YEARS A SLAVE
AMERICAN HUSTLE
CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
DALLAS BUYERS CLUB
GRAVITY
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: All
WILL WIN: It's between the more obviously edited Captain Phillips and the seemless work in Gravity.  I think voters will just vote GRAVITY down the line, though.
I'D VOTE FOR: GRAVITY
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Spring Breakers



No comments: