Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Honorary Oscar Ceremony Clips Now Online

Now in its fifth year, the Academy's Governors Awards ceremony occured Saturday night.  Clips are available at the Oscars official site HERE.  I watched most of them, and thought they were pretty fantastic.  Touching acceptance speeches, and very thoughtful tributes!  If you combined that with film clips, you'd have watch the Oscars should be.  Despite the Academy stating repeatedly that this is a private event that won't be televised, I have to wonder if that will last.  I could see them being taped and aired closer to the ceremony.  I mean, if the podunk BFCA Critics Choice awards can find a broadcast, why can't this?  Though I will say something that is getting a little frustrating about this ceremony is that its now more or less the first official red carpet for the awards season player wannabes.  Look at who was in attendance: cast members from Dallas Buyers Club, 12 Years a Slave, Her, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, Fruitvale Station, Saving Mr. Banks and more.  Yes, for the first time I'm actually complaining about there being a star studded red carpet.  I think this should be more about the recipients and their achievements rather than another stop in the campaign trail. 

Having said that, Steve Martin proved again why he was my favorite Oscar host with his funny and heartfelt speech.  And Angelina Jolie continues to be a class act.  Though, please eat something girl!

ETA: Mark Harris wrote a column a Grantland summarizing his feelings about this ceremony, and I wholeheartedly agree with him. 


No comments: