Sunday, February 24, 2008

If I Voted for the Winners....



BEST PICTURE: ATONEMENT
Nominees Seen: All 5.
A toughie. As close as the year Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon went up against Traffic, it would be between No Country for Old Men and Atonement.

BEST DIRECTING: JOEL AND ETHAN COEN.
Nominees Seen: 4 (haven't seen Diving Bell)
Gilroy and Reitman are way out of their league. PTA is, as always, damn awesome, but the Coens are just awesome-r.

BEST ACTOR: DANIEL DAY-LEWIS - THERE WILL BE BLOOD
Nominees Seen: All 5
Easy squeezy. Mortensen would get nowhere near the noms he got without the bathouse scene, Depp probably delivers the best in his third nominated performance. Jones is very compelling, but I think more deserving for NCFOM. It pisses me off that Clooney wasn't nominated for Out of Sight or O Brother but got in for Syriana and Michael.

BEST ACTRESS: MARION COTILLARD - LA VIE EN ROSE
Nominees Seen: 4 (Not Seen: Linney)
Cotillard is in a class by herself, even more than Daniel. Blanchett could do that role in her sleep, and I'm pretty sure she dozed off as some point in the film. Christie is elegant, old and British! INSTANT NOM! No, she's really good, but her costar Gordon Pinsent is way better. And Ellen Page will take it home someday. SIDENOTE: IT PISSES ME OFF THAT OF THE 19 PEOPLE NOMINATED IN THE ACTING CATEGORIES, THE ONE I LOVE THE MOST IS ONE OF THE PERFORMANCES I HAVEN'T SEEN. LAURA, YOU ARE A GODDESS! I'LL SEE THE SAVAGES SOON ENOUGH.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: CASEY AFFLECK - THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD
Nominees Seen: 4 (Not Seen: Holbrook)
So I just found out Hal was in The Fog, so that makes me respect him more LOL. Bardem would be my pick if it hadn't been for the category fraud that is placing Casey in supporting. Wilkinson is memorable, but I didn't feel the passion for his performance I felt for In the Bedroom. But Casey - equal to Daniel and Marion.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: AMY RYAN - GONE BABY GONE
Nominees Seen: 4 (Not Seen: Dee)
Should I really check out American Gangster just for Ruby's 4 minutes of screentime? Blanchett doesn't even give the best performance as Dylan, and when she was opposite Michelle Williams in the film I felt that Michelle (or even someone like Naomi Watts or Julianne Moore) would've been more interesting as the "female" Dylan. Saoirse is terrific, one of the best child performances. Swinton is even better, perfectly nuanced, chilling and relatable. But Amy Ryan sets the screen on fire the way a supporting actress should.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: NANCY OLIVER - LARS AND THE REAL GIRL
Nominees Seen: 4 (Not Seen: The Savages)
Juno is awful flashy, Clayton even more so. And I'll be damned if Ratatouille didn't have that amazing monologue by the critic that brought tears to my eyes. But Nancy's Lars is absolutely whimsical and perfectly developed. Fo shiz!

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: ETHAN AND JOEL COEN - NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
Nominees Seen: 4 (Not Seen: Diving Bell)
Awful close. Atonement is my runner-up, more like 1.1 I'd say. Oh, and congrats again to my lovely Sarah Polley! You show amazing potential and WILL be a great filmmaker.

ART DIRECTION: THE GOLDEN COMPASS

CINEMATOGRAPHY: THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD

COSTUME DESIGN: ATONEMENT
(the green dress!)

FILM EDITING: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

MAKEUP: LA VIE EN ROSE

ORIGINAL SCORE: ATONEMENT

ORIGINAL SONG: "Falling Slowly" - ONCE

SOUND MIXING: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

SOUND EFFECTS EDITING: THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (I'd probably actually vote for NCFOM or TWBB, but I think the Bourne series deserves to be called OSCAR WINNING!)

VISUAL EFFECTS: THE GOLDEN COMPASS

ANIMATED FEATURE: RATATOUILLE (the only one I've seen)


And who would you vote for?

No comments: