Tuesday, February 25, 2014

OSCAR PREDICTIONS (Part 1 of 4)

BEST SHORT FILM - ANIMATED: GET A HORSE
BEST SHORT FILM - LIVE ACTION: HELIUM
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT: THE LADY IN NUMBER 6: MUSIC SAVED MY LIFE
With the shorts open to all members, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of votes go to what they think sounds the best.  Of the shorts nominated, I've only seen Get a Horse, which I loved.

 
BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
THE ACT OF KILLING
CUTIE AND THE BOXER
DIRTY WARS
THE SQUARE
20 FEET FROM STARDOM
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: 20 Feet, and will see The Act of Killing soon.
WILL WIN: 20 FEET FROM STARDOM, in a narrow victory over The Act of Killing
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: One of the rare instances where if something was nominated, it probably would have easily won: Sarah Polley's Stories We Tell.

 
 
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
THE BROKEN SOCIAL BREAKDOWN
THE GREAT BEAUTY
THE HUNT
THE MISSING PICTURE
OMAR
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: None.  Will see The Hunt, The Great Beauty and The Broken Social Breakdown over the next month.  I'm slipping with my foreign films.
WILL WIN: THE GREAT BEAUTY
 
 
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
THE CROODS
DESPICABLE ME 2
ERNEST AND CELESTINE
FROZEN
THE WIND RISES
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: Croods, Despicable and Frozen
WILL WIN: FROZEN
I'D VOTE FOR: Frozen
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Epic would have been a fine nominee.  Thank goodness 2014 looks much more promising for this category.  
 
 
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
GRAVITY
THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG
IRON MAN 3
THE LONE RANGER
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: All
WILL WIN: GRAVITY, no hesitation.
I'D VOTE FOR: GRAVITY, no hesitation.
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Pacific Rim would have been more deserving than the non-Gravity/Hobbit nominees. 
 
 
BEST SOUND EDITING
ALL IS LOST
CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
GRAVITY
THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG
LONE SURVIVOR
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: All, stellar category!
WILL WIN: GRAVITY
I'D VOTE FOR: I think Gravity's strength is more in its mixing, so I'd be inclined to vote for All Is Lost.
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The almost forgotten Stoker was an impressive sonic achievement.  
 
 
BEST SOUND MIXING
CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
GRAVITY
THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG
INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
LONE SURVIVOR
 
NOMINEES I'VE SEEN: All except Llewyn Davis
WILL WIN: GRAVITY
I'D VOTE FOR: GRAVITY
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: I'll mention Stoker again and, for Mixing, add Spring Breakers.

No comments: