Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Horrorfest: Sweet Dee



WAKE WOOD
(David Keating, 2011)
I guess this would be the first horror movie from Ireland that I've seen. I'm making an attempt to check out more horror/world cinema. Playing like a cross between The Wicker Man, Pet Cemetary and The Bad Seed, the film follows a couple that moves to a small town after their daughter is killed by a dog (not Cujo, mind you.) They find out that a local ritual will allow her to come back for three days. Of course, they agree to it, and there is no downside whatsoever. No, it is a horror movie and there's always something bad waiting to happen. The parts of the film that focus on the ritual and the creepy town are easily its best, but then it switches to a "demon child" horror movie and loses steam. One of the first films from the modern Hammer horror films. GRADE: B-

[REC] 2
(Jaume Balaguero and Paca Plaza, 2009)
I had heard good things about this sequel, but was mostly disappointed with it. There are some pulse-racing moments, but I'm not sure how I feel about the whole possession angle. These are supposed to be zombies? Film follows a SWAT team and group of teens that go into the quarantined building from the first film. Essentially more of the same, but not nearly as effective as the original. Sidenote: the American remake Quarantine recently had a direct-2-dvd sequel. The sequel to the remake is not a remake of the original sequel. Thank you, Hollywood, for making me say shit like that. GRADE: C+

CUJO
(Lewis Teague, 1983)
Let's be honest. This is sort of dumb. Yet, it works thanks to actual characters and a solid performance from genre fave Dee Wallace. I thought the dog was supposed to be some demon dog, not just a dog with rabies. I must have assumed this was like Critters but with a demon dog, so I was off a bit. I wasn't expecting it to be more of a realistic horror movie, which is probably way its a semi-classic that is still popular. Maybe because Stephen King wrote the book its based on I'm used to his stuff having more supernatural or fantastical elements. GRADE: B

No comments: