Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Horrorfest: As Seen on TV

PIRANHA
(1978)


I'll check out the Elisabeth Shue / cock-puking version early next year. Watching this, I was surprised that this was my first viewing of the film. Not like first time watching it on DVD, but first time at all, seeing as it reminded me of something I would've seen aired relentlessly on television since my youth. Like, say, Jaws or Critters. It certainly had that feel. This is another wonderfully dated film - I especially loved the silhouette piranhas attacking. Even more, I was surprised that this 32 year old film had the balls to go for the massive, blood-orgy kill at the end. Some youngsters didn't even survive the last reel, typically a taboo for horror. Very fun from start to finish, surprisingly violent and yet has that dated wholesomeness. GRADE: B+


NIGHT OF THE DEMONS
(2010)


I watched the campy original during last year's horrorfest and loved it. It's like the Showgirls or 1980's horror, ridiculously stupid and awesome at the same time. If you know what that flm was, you more or less know what you'll get with the remake. I'm not sure why I watched this as I figured it would be terrible, but I did. It's not like Shannon Elizabeth, Monica Keena and Edward Furlong are at the top of my fave actors lists. Sometimes even bad horror is preferable to a dull drama. It came as a bit of a shock that this wasn't horrendous. The first half an hour is, but once things got going, it managed to be pretty entertaining. And like the original, there's some unintentional hilarity - I love how these are supposed to be twentysomethings looking for a wild rave but everyone looks like they should be at home with their 10 year olds. Oh, and there's one of those scenes where there's a drug dealer with an accent doing business while getting a blow job. Really? GRADE: C+


SESSION 9
(2001)


One of those movies that I've had on my radar since release but only just got around to watching. I was aware everyone said this was good, but it just took me forever to watch it. Glad I finally did. Very psychological with a few heartstopping moments and enough creepy atmosphere to outdo any other "haunted asylum" movie. The end twist is a little underwhelming but everything leading up to it is gold, and when the "session 9" tape is finally played it really gets under you skin. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it - and I know there are a lot of you. GRADE: A-


NOW ON TO TV....

GLEE - (Ep. 2.5) - "The Rocky Horror Glee Show"

This may have been the most dull and boring episode Glee has ever done. Oh the irony! First, why is Puck MIA? Yeah, we get he's in juvee - but what's the point? He should have been Frank. Second, the music performances were all good to great. Special props to Jayma Mays who really should get more numbers. Third, get rid of John Stamon. Fourth, can Matthew Morrison take his shirt off every episode? I did like the male insecurity subplot involving Finn and was happy he took his shirt off too. Fifth, why did they change transsexual to transvestite? Are you not allowed to say that on TV? Yeah, a lot of this was watered down. In fact they even through that in to the storyline. Sixth, I'm really sick of the theme episodes where the characters all talk about how much they love _____ and how _____ is relevant and important to society. Madonna, Britney, Rocky Horro, soon whatever. The whole thing was so safe and pedestrian, a real disappointment given what the show has done before with risque, eyebrow raising materail. But again, liked the guys with their shirts off. Would love to have seen Puck in the Tim Curry getup. GRADE: C


RAISING HOPE (Ep. 1.6) - "Happy Halloween"

Pretty dull outing for this occasionally hilarious freshman series. Martha Plimpton remains a goddess and hopefully will get an Emmy nom. There's some funny moments but a lot of this felt forced and its not the type of show that can do forced humor well especially considering its a pretty original gem most of the time. The second episode that aired after this was much better, even if I think it was meant to air before the Halloween episode? GRADE: C+


MODERN FAMILY (Ep. 2.6) - "Halloween"

The first third of this was decent and it probably didn't help that last week's episode was one of the funniest sitcom episodes any show that isn't on NBC has produced in years. They finished very very strong and some of the jokes had gutbusting payoffs. Sofia Vergara and Julie Bowen will give Jane Lynch a run for that Emmy next year, and this would make a perfect submission for both. Vergara, in particular, was a hoot when doing her "American accent." Jay's quick line about the fog cue was also a standout and I loved how that flirted with the limits of what TV can do. See, GLEE, this show was more subversive in a second than you were all last night. GRADE: A-


COUGAR TOWN (Ep. 2.6) - "You Don't Know How It Feels"
Really - the entire episode should have just been Laurie and Ellie as each other. That was the biggest laugh of the night for me. Last week's episode was much much better, but this was an enjoyably sweet Halloween ep. Courteney looked so pretty in princess costume. Touching finale with Jules and her dad. Is it just me or are they getting closer and closer to having Laurie and Travis hookup? I think that would work and would create all sorts of comedy gold. GRADE: B


OH MY FUCKING GOD WALKING DEAD IS ONLY A FEW DAYS AWAY!!!!!!

No comments: