Thursday, February 21, 2013

Oscar Predictions - 1st of 4

Some fun contests this year!  Finally, lots of close races.  That usually leads to a better show, but with all those production numbers the producers have planned, I just don't know. 

 
VISUAL EFFECTS:
THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
LIFE OF PI
MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS
PROMETHEUS
SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN
 
Nominees I've Seen: All
Commentary: Strong slate.  Huntsman is probably the weak link, and I doubt Avengers has much of a shot.  The Hobbit is too 'been there, done that.'  Life of Pi has the advantage over Prometheus given it's a Picture nominee.  However, the work on Richard Parker should make this an easy victory for Ang Lee's stunner.  
WILL WIN: LIFE OF PI
I'D VOTE FOR: LIFE OF PI
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Dark Knight Rises and Cloud Atlas should have edged out Avengers or Snow White, though I understand why both made it.  Good year for visual effects!
 
 
SOUND EDITING:
ARGO
DJANGO UNCHAINED
LIFE OF PI
SKYFALL
ZERO DARK THIRTY
 
Nominees I've Seen: All
Commentary: Given most voters don't understand the difference between the sound categories and just vote for what they think is the loudest or which movie they liked the most, it's between Skyfall and Life of Pi.  Like visual effects, this is a good year for this category.  That said, Argo really shouldn't be here. 
WILL WIN: LIFE OF PI
I'D VOTE FOR: A tough one.  Strong work in Zero, Pi and Skyfall, but for me DJANGO UNCHAINED had whiplashes, bullets blazing and dogs ripping apart people offscreen. 
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Again, kind of shocked at The Dark Knight Rises' omission.  The Avengers is more deserving here than Visual Effects.
 
 


SOUND MIXING:
ARGO
LES MISERABLES
LIFE OF PI
LINCOLN
SKYFALL
 
Nominees I've Seen: All
Commentary: I don't mind Argo's nomination here.  That opening sequence where the embassy is taken over is a terrific sound showcase.  Lincoln is the one that isn't up to par here.  While all the dialogue is recorded perfectly, it's not the typical "LOUD" winner.  Like sound editing, this should be a race between Skyfall and Life of Pi.  However, neither of those films have shoved down our throats for months that the sound was OMG RECORDED LIVE!!!!  Everyone is predicting Les Miserables for that reason alone, but I'm sure it will have people that won't vote for it for that reason as well.  Having said that, Chicago and Dreamgirls proved victorious in this category, so.... 
WILL WIN: LES MISERABLES
I'D VOTE FOR: SKYFALL, just barely over Life of Pi.
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Django, Dark Knight, Zero Dark - and another that featured thumping work in both sound categories but had zero chance: Dredd
 
 
MUSIC - ORIGINAL SONG:
"Before My Time" - CHASING ICE
"Suddenly" - LES MISERABLES
"Pi's Lullaby" - LIFE OF PI
"Skyfall" - SKYFALL
"Everybody Needs a Best Friend" - TED
 
Nominees I've Seen: All except Chasing Ice.  Though if there's a category where you don't need to see the film, it's this one.
Commentary: While this category has produced some surprises in the past, this year isn't one.  It's signed, sealed, delivered to Adele.
WILL WIN: "Skyfall" - SKYFALL
I'D VOTE FOR: "Skyfall" - SKYFALL
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: John Legend's awesome "Who Did That To You?" from Django Unchained and Florence and the Machine's "Breath of Life" from Snow White and the Huntsman would have been worthy contenders.
 
 
MUSIC - ORIGINAL SCORE:
ANNA KARENINA
ARGO
LIFE OF PI
LINCOLN
SKYFALL
 
Nominees I've Seen: All
Commentary: I'd say it's a threeway race between the Picture nominees.  I feel like I've heard Argo and Lincoln's scores a couple hundred times before and hopefully voters feel the same way.  That leaves Pi.
WILL WIN: LIFE OF PI
I'D VOTE FOR: LIFE OF PI.  Though to be perfectly honest, I'm not a huge fan of any of these scores.
SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Cloud Atlas - should have been nominated and should have won.
 
 
Dazzit for now. 



No comments: