Thursday, January 10, 2013

Oscar Nom Thoughts...

WTF Just happened?

That was the most shocking nomination morning I can ever recall.

Best Picture is about what we expected.  Both screenplay categories were almost predictable. 

Supporting Actor - nailed 5/5. 
Leading Actor - okay, figured Phoenix might knock someone out.
Leading Actress - I knew Naomi was safe, but Marion missing was a slight shock.
Supporting Actress - OMG Jacki Weaver???  This is like the umpteenth year now where someone shows up nowhere other than Oscar nominations?  Over Ann Dowd, Nicole Kidman, the brits?  That's shocking. 

Then, Best Directing.

This is the big shock.  Like, ever.

No Bigelow.  No Affleck. 

How? WHY?  What just happened?

(Keep in mind I'm not a huge fan of Argo and haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty.) 

Both of them had the potential to win the actual prize.  Damn, I'm guessing sexism kept Bigelow out.  Like, oh we're the old men of the Academy, we already gave you the Oscar so no more need to nominate any girls?  WTF. 

I have no idea about Affleck.  Like, nothing can explain it?  Beasts wasn't even big enough to show up in Score or Editing?

The Dark Knight Rises also received no nominations.  I think this does go to show that they really don't like Nolan.  I'm happy for the two Snow White and the Huntsman nominations.  I'm one of the few people who really liked it. 

As far as the nomination announcement itself, I didn't think that was the best place for the wisecracks.  They should've saved some of those jokes for the show.  But I did like that they finally learned to put things in random order.  People are smart enough to figure out the entire category based on whose name is read first.  I also didn't like Seth and Emma standing to the side, rather than in front.  It seemed a little too "we're reading our report in history class."  I guess Seth was okay, Emma was fine.  Bring back the old way, but keep the random order.

Silver Linings is the big winner of the morning, along with Life of PiLincoln did exactly what was expected.  Silver Linings is the first film since I'm not sure what to get nominations in each acting category. 

Zero Dark Thirty took the biggest hit. 

I wonder how much of this morning's shock will be attributed to the early nomination time table AND the online voting.

So, the music category gave us Oscar nominees Adele and Seth MacFarlane. 

I had a whole page made to celebrate Nicole Kidman's fourth nomination.  I'll save it for next year for Stoker

No comments: