Thursday, April 14, 2011

Scream 4 Random Thoughts - YES I'VE FUCKING SEEN IT!




Ok, I'll be back tomorrow or Friday with complete thoughts (LOL - with me is there such a thing?) as most of the people reading this are my friends and you probably already know if you're going to see this or not?

THIS IS MOSTLY SPOILER FREE!!!! I'M NOT GIVING ANYTHING MAJOR AWAY JUST YET.

+First and foremost, I have a huge crush on Hayden Panettiere now. Never really a fan more because I've not seen most of her stuff than because of her actual talent, but she fucking ruled here. Like a cross between Tatum and Randy. She was hot as fuck and working that short hair.

+Now that I've got my girl crush out of the way, let me focus on my boy crush - Nico Tortorella. Very hot in an old school way.

As for the movie...

I thought it was a ton of fun, fast paced, funny, adrenaline pumping, bloody good show.

+There's a problem inherent to the way the opening is laid out (three duos back to back to back/movies within movies within movies) and I didn't think it was as great as what people are saying. That aside, the Paquin-Bell (is that a phone company?) bit is going to KILL - really hilarious. Honestly though, and I'm surprised I'm saying this, I kinda wished they had switched Hale/Grimes and Teegarden/Robertson. For some reason, I liked the first duo more.

+The original trio are given equal screentime with the new blood, Dewey probably has the least to do. Gale was back to her old bitchy self (TEAM GALE 4 LIFE!) and Sidney is probably the most involved given the character link. Neve is even better looking now than she was in the first. So pretty! She was great, it was exactly like Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween: H20. I was kinda bummed we really didn't find out anything about where exactly she is in life. There's no mention of a man/where she lives - and I don't think it was mentioned - maybe it was since I already knew it cuz Craven said it but - her father died and this was the first time she had been to Woodsboro since his death?

+New cast...
-Fucking loved Hayden. Great character.
-Loved Erik Knudsen as Robbie - I'm still unsure about his last lines if he was serious or not? Like, I hope he was cuz I thought it was cute.
-EMMA ROBERTS - really impressed with her. She is a tad uneven, but this is a pretty good showcase. She has the perfect slasher movie heroine look.
-Nico Tortorella and Rory Culkin - both decent.
-Marielle Jaffe - hot, bitchy, okay. She's not really meant to do anything.
-Alison Brie - fun, bitchy, you know what happens to her. Love her.
-Adam Brody and Anthony Anderson - LOL they were barely in this? And their last scene is kinda dumb and abrupt. Probably my least fave thing in the movie.
-Marley Shelton - loved her. I FUCKING LOVED CRAVEN'S FRAMING OF HER STANDING IN THE SHADOWS WHEN NEVE FIRST SEES HER. ONE OF THE BEST SHOTS IN THE FILM. And her last bit was hilarious.
-Mary McDonnell - has like three lines? I can see why Lauren Graham left.

+I loved how everyone at the Stabathon repeated all the lines. And were dressed as Dewey, Gale, Casey and Steve.

+Peter Deming's photography is gorgeous, right up there with Scream 2. I love the distinct look he gave these films. Fave shot was Marley in the shadows, probably.

+Bloodiest entry yet. Brutal stabbings, some deaths are a little too drawn out, people would probably die a lot faster. There's some entrails for the gore hounds.

+Kirby rattling off all the remakes in the trailer plays a lot more emotionally in the actual movie, she names a lot more and really sells the shit out of that scene.

+In the way it looks back on the past films - there are references here and there that diehards will pick up on - sorta reminded me a lot of Halloween: H20. That's a good comparion.

+The final moments of the film are terrific, and I didn't expect such a perfect, kinda nasty message to this film. It probably in some ways is the darkest ending of the series. Its pretty subversive and I think will in many ways allow this one to stand out from the others and make it last. It really pumped me up as the credits began. Some are complaining saying its too drawn out and unrealistic. I don't have a problem with the latter cuz its a horror movie and that's somewhat expected. And I think the pacing of the film is perfect.

+PICTURE CREDITS - Why were people not listed correct. I thought it was three tiered. First - Original trio + Hayden and Emma. Second - Rest of cast alphabetically. Third - Opening Girls. No, its not like that. I don't know why this made me mad - LOL?

So if I were to rank...

1. Scream 2
2. Scream
3. Scream 4
4. Scream 3

No comments: