Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Box-Office Week 4 - Memorial Gay Weekend

With Carrie Bradshaw and Jack Twist!

LOL - MacGruber. Good job, Darren. Can't believe it did that poorly. On the other hand, I was right in that Shrek: The Final Chapter would underperform. The question is now how big will its weekend drop be or will it stabilize thanks to the holiday weekend. On to the openers...

Sex and the City 2 arrives with terrible reviews but all the hype in the world. Originally, I was against this sequel. But when I saw the second trailer, I thought it looked more like how the first movie should have been: the girls go on a wild romp. I liked the first film. It had its moments, but it was like someone stripped the girls of part of their souls and left their hollow, shallow, materialist shells. Based on reviews, that is all the sequel is. Materialism gone wild. I guess I'll stick with my HBO episodes of the show on DVD. I loved those ladies, but the women in the films just seem like pale imitations. The Thursday opening seems slightly awkward, given how much of a Friday night movie the first one was. But a 5-day opening of around $80m looks in order. I'd also like to add my disdain for the, well, internet fanboy disdain of the original series and films. You do realize as a white heterosexual male between the ages of 18 and 49, almost everything made will somehow have to be marketed and produced just for you. Quit bitching when one thing comes along and isn't.

Also for the gays is Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Those images of the Buff Gyllenhaal are enough to send any Gyllenhaalic straight to rehab, and Disney is hoping to the theatre. I don't think it'll have trouble getting past $40m for the 4-day, and perhaps could go even higher.

#. Title - 3-day / 4-day / Total After 4-day / Predicted Final Gross

1. Sex and the City 2 - $52m / $64m / $79m / $155m
2. Shrek: The Final Chapted - $37.5m / $51m / $141m / $225m
3. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - $36m / $46m / $46m / $125m
4. Iron Man 2 - $13.5m / $17m / $275.5m / $320m
5. Robin Hood - $10m / $13m / $85.5m / $108m
6. Letters to Juliet - $5.5m / $7m / $37.5m / $49m
7. Just Wright - $2.2m / $2.7m / $18.8m / $24m
8. MacGruber - $1.9m / $2.4m / $8m / $12m
9. Date Night - $1.3m / $1.6m / $93.3m / $96m
10. How to Train Your Dragon - $1.2m / $1.6m / $213.3m / $216m

No comments: