Saturday, January 16, 2010

GOLDEN GLOBE DIX!

Predictions for the Globes.

List of nominees here.

Film - Drama:
Up in the Air

(alt - The Hurt Locker)
UITA needs this to stay ahead of everyone. THL got the noms it needed here to possibly win, but the movie doesn't quite feel like the Hollywood Foreign Press's cup of tea. I'd say that THL and the Basterds have an equal shot of "upsetting". As for Avatar, maybe. May...be.

Film - Comedy/Musical:
(500) Days of Summer

(alt - Julie and Julia)
This feels tough, but sort of easy. Nine has the most noms of films in this category, has big stars and Weinstein backing. But the film is a pretty big flop. It's Complicated will be seen as the lesser of the Streep vehicles, while The Hangover made a lot of money and should be content with that. So I think Julie and Summer are the only viable winners, with the latter being the only nominee here to actually have big fans.

Director:
Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker

(alt - James Cameron - Avatar)
I think this is more or less a done deal.

Screenplay:
Up in the Air

(alt - Inglourious Basterds)
Those two are very close. I gave it to Up on the basis that it will need another win besides Picture. LOL @ Nancy.

Actor - Drama:
Jeff Bridges - Crazy Heart

(alt - George Clooney - Up in the Air)
They might starfuck and go with Gorgeous George, but I think Bridges has the buzz.

Actress - Drama:
Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side

(alt - Carey Mulligan - An Education)
I originally predicted Mulligan to take it. This is the year of Bullock, apparently. So she gets it. Looking forward to her speech.

Actor - Comedy/Musical:
Matt Damon - The Informant

(alt - Joseph Gordon Levitt - (500) Days of Summer)
I'm not sold on this one. Probably the toughest to predict of the big categories as there is no real favorite and almost everyone seems to have "just barely been nominated". I went with Damon cuz he's nom'd elsewhere, and they'll want to give him something. Right?

Actress - Comedy/Musical:
Meryl Streep - Julie and Julia.

(no alt.)
No commentary. This is sewn up.

Supporting Actor:
Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds

(alt - Woody Harrelson - The Messenger)
Fairly easy.

Supporting Actress:
Mo'nique - Precious

(alt - Anna Kendrick - Up in the Air)
I'm more confident in Waltz winning than I am in Mo'nique. That being said, I don't really see anyone other than her winning, unless people really dislike her as much as some stupid Oscar pundits would like them to.

Animated Feature:
Up

(alt - Fantastic Mr. Fox)
The Fox really wants to bite those balloons. But it'll float.

Original Song:
"The Weary Kind" - Crazy Heart

(alt - "I See You" - Avatar)
This is kinda tough to predict, with Bono and McCartney in the mix. That Ryan Bingham guy is hot, so I'll hold out for him.

Original Score:
Up

(alt - Avatar)
They'll want to give Avatar something, right? I think Giacchino is overdue.

Foriegn Language Film:
The White Ribbon

(alt - A Prophet)
I guess Pedro should be in the running, but I think Haneke has the win.

TV!!!!!

Drama Series:
True Blood

(alt - Mad Men)
They love Mad Men, but True Blood's hype is hard to ignore.

Musical/Comedy Series:
Glee

(alt - Modern Family)
30 and Office are over when it comes to awards. Glee's 4 noms shows big support and has the most hype, even if Modern has more acclaim. Oh, and why the fuck is Entourage still being nominated?

Actress - Drama:
Julianna Margulies - The Good Wife

(alt - Glenn Close - Damages)
I'd say January is the alt, but no one's gonna vote for her after her SNL appearance.

Actress - Comedy/Musical:
Toni Collette - The United States of Tara

(alt - Edie Falco - Nurse Jackie)
Feels like Tara aired forever ago and may be forgotten. I'd love to see Courteney win. Last year's winner, Fey, actually feels like she has the weakest shot, and the Globes could always go with the newbie and award Lea. Very good category. Would be a great one had it not been for the inexcuseable snub of Amy Poehler. WTF?

Actor - Drama:
Simon Baker - The Mentalist

(alt - Hugh Laurie - House)
Cuz they really love House.

Actor - Comedy/Musical:
Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock

(alt - Thomas Jane - Hung)
I guess.

Mini-Series/TV Movie:
Grey Gardens

(alt - Into the Storm)
The Beals, darling.

Actor - Mini-Series/TV Movie:
Brendan Gleeson - Into the Storm

I couldn't care less about this category, but I've always enjoyed Brendan. So I choose him.

Actress - Mini-series/TV Movie:
Drew Barrymore - Grey Gardens

Either her or Lange will make me happy. Lange has one of these, Drew doesn't.

Supporting Actor - All TV:
Neil Patrick Harris - How I Met Your Mother

(alt - John Lithgow - Dexter)
LOL Didn't they realize Jeremy Piven is over.

Supporting Actress - All TV:
Jane Lynch - Glee

(alt - Janet McTeer - Into the Storm)
God, I WILL DIE WHEN JANE WINS. LOVE HER SO MUCH! I think she has this locked up.


Anywho, that's that.

No comments: