Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Horrorfest: Nutting up

THE ADDAMS FAMILY
(Greg Tiernan and Conrad Vernon, 2019)
Animated adaptation focusing on the creepy and kooky Addams Family. I'm a bit surprised at the success of this as it seems odd families/kids would be interested in The Addams Family. Is the old TV show even on anymore? The films from the early 90's may be a cult favorite, but they don't seem like something young children would be into. I digress. The gags are more amusing than outright funny, but they hit more than they miss. And as an HGTV aficionado, I appreciated some of the digs aimed at the network. Plus, it's always nice to see animated, family-friendly films go for a horror/Halloween theme and it's at least better than the Hotel Transylvania films. Smart move casting Oscar Isaac as Gomez, but I'd like a live action version with him and Eva Green as Morticia. Charlize Theron, a fine choice, voices her in this, also with Chloe Grace Moretz, Nick Kroll and Allison Janney. GRADE: B-

ZOMBIELAND: DOUBLE TAP
(Ruben Fleischer, 2019)
Follow-up to 2009's popular zom-com, the sequel finds the quartet on the road to Graceland after staying in the White House. Sidenote: I'm not sure the White House would just be abandoned, and where did they get the brand new Mountain Dew? The world-building is a bit lacking despite the passage of ten years. It's a mostly fun follow-up that finishes stronger than it begins, which is always a plus. The new characters are good additions, as Jesse Eisenberg and Emma Stone both seem a little bored with this go round. In particular, Zoey Deutch is an absolute riot. I'm not sure the actual character she's playing is that funny, but the actress's commitment to her is 110% and she more than makes it work. GRADE: B-

And now, some more anniversary watches:

ALIEN
(Ridley Scott, 1979)
I'm not sure when I first watched this classic. My dive into my Netflix history says I rated it in 2007, but I had to see it before that? Oddly, I rated Aliens earlier. I think I may have seen the James Cameron-helmed sequel first. It's amusing watching such a seminal film and ruminating on all the other films this one inspired - as in all the films that ripped it off or parodied it. It has to be one of the most influential films of all time. Yet, the elements that originated in this film still work and hold up remarkably well for it now being 40 years old. Tom Skerritt and Sigourney Weaver lead an impressive cast as the crew of a spaceship responding to a distress call. After exploring the planet the call originated from, they bring on board a life form that soon wreaks havoc. One thing I was surprised by was just how little the alien is in the film. Anytime it's shown, it almost immediately runs off. It was smart keeping it under wraps and made the ending appearance all the more thrilling. This is, quite simply, one of the best sci-fi/horrors of all time. (Please note: I watched the theatrical cut.) GRADE: A

JENNIFER'S BODY
(Karyn Kusama, 2009)
A box-office disappointment when it was released a decade ago, reviews weren't much better. Writer Diablo Cody was following up her Oscar-win for Juno, so expectations were high. It didn't help that the studio had no clue how to market it, so they went after teen boys. I worked at a theater and one thing I remember about the audience that came out to see Jennifer's Body: it was a very queer audience. We're always ahead of the curve. I very much liked the film when I eventually saw it later in the year. The film follows high school nerd Needy (Amanda Seyfried), whose bad girl bestie Jennifer (Megan Fox) has been turned into a literal maneater after a spell cast by an alt-rock band. Equal parts Evil Dead and Heathers, I think I love this film now even more and am so glad it's found the cult following it so deserves. It helps that it has a very mid-90's feel. Megan Fox was never going to be a great actress, but this part fits her like a glove. Sexy and threatening in equal measures, with great comic timing to boot. (Her tampon line during the film's climax is an all-timer.) Kusama got screwed over several times by Hollywood, but has recently had a strong comeback with films like The Invitation and Destroyer. If you haven't seen this film yet, it's time to give it the respect it deserves. After all, there aren't many horror films written by, directed by and starring women. More of those, please. GRADE: A-

No comments: