Tuesday, December 8, 2015

SAG Dix

I'm surprised after all these years I never called this "Saggy Dix". I guess I'm maturing. Who knew?

Anna Faris and Anthony Mackie will announce the nominees Wednesday morning on TNT/TBS just before 10AM Eastern. That's an hour later than usual.

I did the TV section last year and actually did OK. Surprising, given how awful SAG TV nominees usually are. I'll try again this year. I got 68.3% correct last year on TV, which isn't bad. I'll make that my goal this year.

Comedy - Female Actor:
Uzo Aduba - Orange Is The New Black
Allison Janney - Mom
Ellie Kemper - The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Veep
Gina Rodriguez - Jane the Virgin
alt: Lily Tomlin - Grace and Frankie

Comedy - Male Actor:
Ty Burrell - Modern Family
Louis CK - Louie
William H. Macy - Shameless
Jim Parsons - The Big Bang Theory
Jeffrey Tambor - Transparent
alt: Anthony Anderson - Blackish

Comedy - Ensemble:
Modern Family
Orange Is the New Black
Transparent
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Veep
alt: The Big Bang Theory

(I have no clue if Transparent is even eligible. I'm also wondering if they'll throw in Parks and Recreation.)


MAJOR ETA: From here on out, I've changed numerous predictions at 12:35AM Wednesday morning. I just learned all limited series (Fargo, American Crime, etc) were submitted in Drama. Wet Hot American Summer was submitted in comedy series, but I doubt that makes it.

Drama - Female Actor:
Claire Danes - Homeland
Viola Davis - How To Get Away With Murder
Lena Headey - Game of Thrones
Taraji P. Henson - Empire
Robin Wright - House of Cards
alt: Kirsten Dunst - Fargo

Drama - Male Actor:
Jon Hamm - Mad Men
Terrence Howard - Empire
Rami Malek - Mr. Robot
Liev Schreiber - Ray Donovan
Kevin Spacey - House of Cards
alt: Bob Odenkirk - Better Call Saul

Drama - Ensemble:
Downton Abbey
Empire
Game of Thrones
House of Cards
Mad Men
alt: Fargo

Miniseries/TV Movie - Female Actor:
Catherine Keener - Show Me A Hero
Nicole Kidman - Grace of Monaco
Mo'nique - Bessie
Queen Latifah - Bessie
Saoirse Ronan - Stockholm, Pennsylvania
alt: Winona Ryder - Show Me a Hero

Miniseries/TV Movie - Male Actor:
Idris Elba - Luther
Oscar Isaac - Show Me A Hero
Damian Lewis - Wolf Hall
David Oyelowo - Nightingale
Mark Rylance - Wolf Hall
alt: Louis Gossett Jr - The Book of Negroes


Now, on to Film!

Female Actor In a Supporting Role:
Jennifer Jason Leigh - The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara - Carol
Rachel McAdams - Spotlight
Alicia Vikander - The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet - Steve Jobs
alt: Jane Fonda - Youth
Or Elizabeth Banks. Maybe even Helen Mirren, who this guild LOVES LOVES LOVES. Helen is campaigning, so it's certainly possible. No idea if Hateful Eight had enough screenings to get in here. Vikander and Mara are required to be voted where they were submitted, so they both should be fine for a nom here. I've been swapping McAdams and Fonda back and forth.

Male Actor In a Supporting Role:
Paul Dano - Love and Mercy
Michael Keaton - Spotlight
Mark Ruffalo - Spotlight
Mark Rylance - Bridge of Spies
Sylvester Stallone - Creed
alt: Jacob Tremblay - Room
I really want to predict Dano, but I'm not sure who to bump. Creed was apparently screened for SAG really late, but the film is in wide release and doing well. Tremblay seems like the most likely, but SAG loves their kids. I think the other three are safe. Damn. (ETA: I ended up swapping Tremblay and Dano.)

Female Actor In a Leading Role:
Cate Blanchett - Carol
Brie Larson - Room
Jennifer Lawrence - Joy
Charlotte Rampling - 45 Years
Saoirse Ronan - Brooklyn
alt: Blythe Danner - I'll See You In My Dreams
Or Lily Tomlin. No idea if Joy was screened in time, but I'm guessing people will blind vote for JLaw. Even if today's reviews for the film are, uh, troubling. Rampling feels like the person who gets the Oscar nom, but misses SAG. If she does get in here, I'd say she's safe for the Oscars.

Male Actor in a Leading Role:
Matt Damon - The Martian
Johnny Depp - Black Mass
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Revenant
Michael Fassbender - Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne - The Danish Girl
alt: Will Smith - Concussion
I think Hanks is sitting this one out. Michael B. Jordan could've been a contender if WB had that film as a priority before the past several weeks.

Ensemble:
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
The Martian
Spotlight
alt: Carol
Or Room, Steve Jobs, Straight Outta Compton, Black Mass, and the list goes on.

No comments: